Americas & Beyond
|Boy's Science Project Prompts School Evacuation|
go to original
January 18, 2010
San Diego - Fire officials said a San Diego middle school was evacuated when a student's science project was mistaken for a bomb.
Fire-Rescue spokesman Maurice Luque said a vice principal's concerns prompted the evacuation of Millennial Tech Magnet Middle School last Friday afternoon.
Luque said an arson team took photos and x-rays of the empty plastic bottle with wires and determined it was harmless.
Luque says the 11-year-old boy was trying to build a motion detector from instructions he found on the Internet.