BanderasNews
Puerto Vallarta Weather Report
Welcome to Puerto Vallarta's liveliest website!
Contact UsSearch
Why Vallarta?Vallarta WeddingsRestaurantsWeatherPhoto GalleriesToday's EventsMaps
 NEWS/HOME
 AROUND THE BAY
 AROUND THE REPUBLIC
 AMERICAS & BEYOND
 BUSINESS NEWS
 TECHNOLOGY NEWS
 WEIRD NEWS
 EDITORIALS
 ENTERTAINMENT
 VALLARTA LIVING
 PV REAL ESTATE
 TRAVEL / OUTDOORS
 HEALTH / BEAUTY
 SPORTS
 DAZED & CONFUSED
 PHOTOGRAPHY
 READERS CORNER
 BANDERAS NEWS TEAM
Sign up NOW!

Free Newsletter!


News Around the Republic of Mexico 

Mexico Asks Population to Continue Self-Quarantine

March 26, 2020

Up until this week, all of the COVID-19 cases in Mexico had been "imported" (contracted while traveling abroad), but now community-based transmission of the coronavirus has begun in several states.
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico - The Federal Health Secretariat has reported that, as of 7:00 pm on Tuesday, March 24, the number of people infected with COVID-19 in the country exceeds four hundred confirmed cases, and the number of virus-related deaths has risen to five.

Specifically, 405 cases of coronavirus have been confirmed. 90% of those infected by the virus are recovering in home isolation, while the other 10% have been hospitalized.

In addition, there are 826 suspected cases of COVID-19 in the country, with those under study receiving special care in quarantine until infection has been confirmed or ruled out.

At the time of the report's publication, a total of 2,161 suspected cases had been analyzed, 1,219 of which had tested negative. Authorities continue to investigate additional suspected cases of coronavirus throughout the country.

Up until this week, all of the COVID-19 cases in Mexico had been "imported" (contracted while traveling abroad), but now community-based transmission of the virus has begun in several states.

In light of this, on March 24, the Health Secretary declared the start of Phase 2 of the country's coronavirus contingency plan, which calls for strengthening existing strategies and implementing new preventive measures to reduce transmission among the population.

The measures include the hiring of health professionals; the availability of hospital infrastructure and supplies, including intensive care units, hospital beds, mechanical ventilators, monitors, oximeters and portable X-rays, etc.; as well as allocating sufficient financial resources.

Since social distancing is the best way to prevent the spread of the virus, the government is asking the entire population to stay at home and postpone any non-essential activity for as long as possible to prevent the need for the government to enforce a mandatory quarantine.

Sources: gob.mx/salud vallartaopinaenlinea.com