Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico - "Gastronomy" is a synonym for sharing, for delighting the soul through food, for spending time with the people we care about. This is precisely what the 12th Vallarta Nayarit Gastronómica 2020 Hybrid Edition is proposing: to bring us together as a family from a distance and in spite of the restrictions imposed by the New Normal.
In light of this, the Grand Gastronomic Family of Puerto Vallarta and the Riviera Nayarit recently came together before local, national, and international media to talk about one of the events that will help kick off the region's tourism during what is considered to be the most atypical and complicated year ever for the industry.
Vallarta Nayarit Gastronómica 2020 will be held from October 29-31 with the Sheraton Buganvilias Puerto Vallarta serving as the main host hotel, along with other events held at hotels and restaurants in Puerto Vallarta and the Riviera Nayarit, including the newly-opened Conrad Punta de Mita.
This year's event will be unique in that it will be both virtual and in person (hence the "Hybrid" in the name) and will also be streamed worldwide. Spain will once again be the guest country with Chihuahua and Guanajuato as guest states.
Twenty-seven local and guest chefs will be in attendance, all of them either Celebrity Chefs or Top Chefs, as well as nine sommeliers and mixologists. There will be six international chefs joining via a virtual platform - all Michelin-starred or Master Chefs - who will take advantage of the available technology to take part in the grand culinary festival directly from their countries of origin.
Solidarity and responsibility
Carlos Elizondo, event founder and managing director, highlighted the collective effort that made this VNG possible even in the most adverse circumstances, an effort that also includes support from the authorities at both levels of government, the sponsoring brands, and, of course, from all the local talent brought in by the Banderas Bay chefs and mixologists.
Consuelo Elipe, event founder and organizer, explained that this year the Vallarta Nayarit Gastronómica Special Hybrid Edition will be carried out in a different format and will adapt to the circumstances demanded by health protocols.
Jesús Carmona Jiménez, president of the Banderas Bay Hotel and Motel Association (AHMBB), highlighted the supportive nature of the VNG and said they will continue working together with Puerto Vallarta, especially in these difficult times.
"We have an extraordinary destination with a beautiful bay that caresses Puerto Vallarta and the Riviera Nayarit; we need to keep working harder than ever to get ahead, but we're going to get the job done with everyone's support. The event has been ongoing for 12 years now, and I know it's not been easy, but if we're all here it's thanks to the effort and the commitment that Consuelo Elipe and Carlos Elizondo have put into making this event happen. You can be proud of what you have achieved," he said.
A safe event
• The organizers said that this year, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the main hall where the show-cooking will take place will have room for only 250 people, when in previous years up to a thousand people were in attendance. Dinners that were once served for 150 guests will now be for between 50 and 70 people max.
• The in-person event will have cooking demonstrations and conferences presented by some of the best chefs in Mexico.
• Chef Abel Hernández, from Culinaria Chic, will be the event host.
• The virtual event will include Michelin-star chefs and notable chefs from other countries.
• Show highlights will be streamed.
• The welcome cocktail will be held at the Conrad Punta de Mita in the Riviera Nayarit.
• There will be five pairing dinners over the course of two days with the top chefs.
• Friday 30: Gala pairing dinner at Gaviotas restaurant in the Sheraton Buganvilias Puerto Vallarta Resort.
• Saturday 31: Icú restaurant and Villa Premiere hotel in Puerto Vallarta, and Alquimista restaurant and Loma 42 in the Riviera Nayarit.
• Participating airlines: Aeroméxico and TAR.
• Airing of unpublished event capsules over the following weeks.
For more information on the event, chefs, mixologists, and participating speakers visit: vallartanayaritgastronomica.com.