Puerto Vallarta Weather Report
Welcome to Puerto Vallarta's liveliest website!
Contact UsSearch
Why Vallarta?Vallarta WeddingsRestaurantsWeatherPhoto GalleriesToday's EventsMaps
Sign up NOW!

Free Newsletter!

Puerto Vallarta News NetworkNews from Around Banderas Bay 

PV Food Bank Celebrates World Food Day
email this pageprint this pageemail us
go to original
September 19, 2011

The Puerto Vallarta Food Bank will be celebrating World Food Day on October 15, 2011 with the commencement of a local food drive campaign.

Puerto Vallarta, Mexico - With the goal of collecting 30 tons of food, the Food Bank of Puerto Vallarta will be celebrating World Food Day on October 15, 2011. Comex Paints has awarded the first in kind donation to this noble institution that is responsible for supporting about five thousand low income people.

Raúl Pavón, franchisee of the renowned local paint and waterproofing company, personally gave the donation to Food Bank Director Oscar Ernesto Pérez Flores, who thanked the company for this generous beginning to the campaign.

Oscar Perez stressed that the public campaign will commence on October 15 when the collection of non-perishable food for the 64 food banks that make up the network of these institutions in Mexico will begin.

"Then we will go door to door to enlist the generosity of Vallarta, to the benefit of those who live in precarious conditions. It's important to note that the Food Bank of Puerto Vallarta not only benefits the county, but extends also to the people of Cabo Corrientes and Bahía de Banderas, which is why we feel it is important to reach our goal of at least 30 tons of donated food." Perez Flores added that the food bank will be assisted by local universities and national military service members to achieve that goal.

In addition, public collection facilities will be placed in different areas of the city to facilitate donations. As is customary, there will also be macro module receptacles at the Sports Center Agustín Flores Contreras.

It is worth mentioning that, thanks to the actions of the Food Bank of Puerto Vallarta, about five thousand people with low incomes can have a balanced diet. About 600 weekly packages of groceries are given to disadvantaged families in 38 colonies, including López Mateos, Las Canoas, Ramblases, Hermosa Provincia, Tebelchía, El Colorado, Lomas del Valle, Brisas del Pacífico, Lomas del Coapinole, Del Toro, Vista Hermosa, Vista Dorada, Villas de Guadalupe, Mismaloya, El Nogalito, Boca de Tomatlán, Las Juntas y los Veranos and El Tuito.

The food bank also benefits two nurseries, a homeless shelter and a rehabilitation center. "Our mission is to provide marginalized families with a better quality of food in a dignified, warm and humane manner," said Perez Flores, who pointed out that 15% of the food bank's donation revenue comes from national sources, while the remaining 85% is from local contributors.

The foods needed for this collection are: all kinds of grains, beverages in cans and tetra packs, and any and all non-perishable food items.

For more information, stop by Jacarandas #52, Colonia Aeropuerto, send an email to ba_puertovallarta(at), or call 322-145-9411 or 322-145-6615.

Translated for BanderasNews by Kathleen Harris