Puerto Vallarta, Mexico - The Travelzest company, itravel2000, a leading Canadian online travel retailer, has listed top 12 destinations for the year 2012, based on the online booking trends and consumer inquiries for 2012. Puerto Vallarta is on the list.
The list reveals a distinct interest in emerging destinations compared to last year. Traditional destinations such as Varadero and Orlando are still featured, but destinations such as Aruba, Panama City and St Maarten have caught the attention of Canadian travelers this year.
The top 12 destinations for 2012 are listed below:
1. Riviera Maya: Riviera Maya’s geographic proximity to Canada and availability of flights make it a choice of many Canadian travelers. It remains a preferred destination among families and lovers of light eco-adventures.
2. Varadero: Varadero is known for its beaches and hospitality. There are dozens of flights a week from Canada to Varadero, which makes it all the more favorable to visit.
3. Punta Cana: Punta Cana, a reasonably-priced tropical getaway, is a favored Caribbean destination for its great beaches, golf courses and resorts.
4. Cancun: A favorite for over 35 years, Cancun continues to be a preferred Mexican destination of many Canadians with its great eco-parks, watersports, golf courses, and it's Mayan ruins.
5. Montego Bay: Montego Bay, host to the island's busiest airport, is set to welcome many Canadians this year. New hotel developments in the major Jamaican cities of Negril, Montego Bay and Ocho Rios also mark Jamaica's growing popularity as a whole.
6. Puerto Vallarta: One of Mexico's most sophisticated destinations, Puerto Vallarta remains a tourist favorite because of its great beaches and eco-tourism opportunities.
7. Orlando: Orlando is in the limelight as a host to the 61st NBA All-Star Game in February. Its other attractions such as the theme parks, lakes, museums and picturesque neighborhoods continue to draw tourists.
8. Costa Rica: Costa Rica is a favorite among travellers for its beaches, eco-adventures, tropical golfing environment, and it's culture.
9. Nassau: Nassau, with direct short-duration flights from Canada, is a preferred destination due to its laid-back Bahamian lifestyle, sandy beaches, and great activity options.
10. Aruba: The most popular of the ABC islands- Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao, Aruba is one of Canadians' most desired Caribbean destinations because of its great beaches, resorts and hospitality.
11. Panama City: The booming city is set to upgrade many things - hotels, museums, and even its famous canal. The newest additions to the city are Panamera, the first Waldorf Astoria hotel in Latin America, and an innovative natural history museum called BioMuseo. And Canadians are all set to explore them!
12. St Maarten: Known as “the friendly island”, St Maarten is well-known for its over 35 beaches. Canadian travelers will be making the most of the direct flights from Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Calgary, and Halifax.Jonathan Carroll, President of itravel2000, and CEO of Travelzest, commented: “We are seeing an interesting turn in consumer travel patterns this winter season. Though traditional destinations such as Orlando, Cancun, and Riviera Maya have remained favorites, many Canadians are booking their travels to emerging destinations like Aruba and St Maarten as well. It is great to see the shift, and we look forward to providing consumers with the best value on their travels.”