Health & Beauty | December 2008
|Yo Me Amo (I Love Me) Campaign by VES|
Ed Thomas - PVNN
The Yo Me Amo campaign that was started by V.E.S. in collaboration with CENSIDA (Centro Nacional para La Atencion Y Prevencion del Sida) and COESIDA (Consejo Estatal del Sida en Jalisco) will be 4 months in the works on Monday, December 1st - World Aids Day.
The campaign came about after many interviews with random people about their sexual activity and there awareness of the HIV virus and how it is transmitted. From these interviews one of the most common factors was the unavailability of condom distribution in Puerto Vallarta and in many cases not having the money to purchase them.
As a result of this, the VES team started a condom distribution campaign and started to enlist several Puerto Vallarta bars, hotels and other establishments willing to distribute free condoms and lubrication to the public.
As part of the campaign, these businesses hang a banner in a prominent place that says "Yo Me Amo" and by displaying the banner they let everyone know that they are a part of the V.E.S. free condom distribution collaborative. Today, participating businesses include:
• Condominios El Dorado - Amapas No. 156, Col. Emiliano Zapata
• Hotel Abbey - Púlpito No. 138, Col. Emiliano Zapata
• Hotel Mercurio - Fca Rodríguez No. 168, Col. Emiliano Zapata
• Hotel Blue Chairs - Malecón y Almendro No. 4, Col. Emiliano Zapata
• Estética Neri - Ecuador No. 232, Col. Coapinole
• Paco's Ranch - Ignacio L. Vallarta No 278, Col. Emiliano Zapata
• SAMA Bar - Olas Altas No. 510, Col. Emiliano Zapata
• Antrophology - Morelos No. 101, Plaza Río Cuale
• D'Fever Café - Lázaro Cárdenas No. 155-2, Col. Emiliano Zapata
• Club Mañana - Venustiano Carranza No. 290, Col. Emiliano Zapata
• Hotel Villa Las Flores - Dalias No. 246 esq. Las Palmas, Col. Villa las Flores
• Liquid Men's Clothing - Ignacio L. Vallarta No. 245, Col. Emiliano Zapata
• Lizanto Bathing Suits - Venustiano Carranza No. 410, Col. Emiliano Zapata
• Estética Fusion - Insurgentes No. 340, Col. Emiliano Zapata
• Estética Oscar's - Tomatlán, Jalisco
• Clínica Dental Mexico - Morelos No. 883-A, Puerto Vallarta, Jal.
• Clínica Dental Mexico - Fco. Medina Ascencio No. 1959-A, Interior Plaza Caracol
• Clínica Dental La Zapopana - Juarez No. 201, Del. El Pitillal
• Boutique Venus Trendy - Independencia No. 607, Pitillal Centro
• Boutique Novedades Mary - 20 de Noviembre No. 280, Pitillal Centro
• The Palm - Olas Altas No. 508, Col. Emiliano Zapata
• Bar Frida's - Lázaro Cárdenas No. 361, Col. Emiliano Zapata
So far the response has been a great success and several other businesses have contacted the office wanting to be a part of this program. One of the big barriers we are finding this campaign overcomes is the stigma related to the use of condoms.
Another program that was kicked off on August 1st was the VES Mobil Detection Brigade, which has been going to the various neighborhoods and doing HIV rapid detection testing. The results to date are as follows:
This program has been a HUGE success with people all of the city asking when the crew will be doing testing, condom distribution and HIV / AIDS education in their neighborhood.
V.E.S. also provides walk-in testing at their office at Hidalgo 457 Int. 1 (on the corner of Mina) just three blocks from the cathedral in downtown Puerto Vallarta. For more information or directions, please call 223-0535.
Puerto Vallarta's HIV/AIDS non-profit organization, Vallarta Enfrenta el SIDA, and CAPASITS, work together to provide high-quality medical care, counseling and psychological support, education and prevention programs, and outreach to at-risk communities in the Banderas Bay area. For information, assistance, or to volunteer or donate, please visit VallartaEnfrentaSida.org. To learn more about VES, click HERE.