|The IV International Marlin and Tuna Tournament in Riviera Nayarit - Another Success|
go to original
August 17, 2010
The anglers reported great fishing in the IV International Marlin and Tuna Tournement at its closure last Saturday in Riviera Nayarit.
|The IV International Marlin and Tuna Tournament, which took place in Riviera Nayarit August 12-14, 2010, was a huge success with anglers taking home $1.5 million pesos in prizes.|
• Adrián García Menchaca, on Los Tolos of Tepic, won with a Marlin weighing 218.700 kg (481 lbs).
• Gonzalo Leaño, Eight Columns Team, caught a tuna weighing 47.500 kg (104.5 lbs) to win in that category.
• Luis Blanco, aboard the Snapper, recorded only catch-and-release fish and won first place in that category.
It was around 8:30 a.m. on Saturday, the 14th of August, when immediately after casting the bait, the line sang and Adrián García Menchaca, on the Tolos, hooked his trophy blue marlin. Three and one-half hours later, after a strenuous fight with the fish, Adrian was able to load it into the boat. They were also hoping to hook a tuna, but had no more luck.
The previous leader in this category had been Mark Martin, aboard Jaws, with a 133.400 kg (293.5 lb) black marlin. This action unseated Charles Menchaca of Milonga of his leadership in this category that he had established earlier Friday, and, with that, the President of the Sportfishing Club of Tepic was moved to third place.
On the closing day, there were two regulation catches of yellowfin tuna. The first to arrive was captured by Gonzalo Leaño, the Ocho Columas Team, which weighed 47.500 kg (104.5 lbs) and took first prize.
It was nearly 9:00 pm when the captain of the team, Ernesto Herrera, first saw a school of dolphins and then a group of birds flying by the side of the Mary Cleofas Island (one of the three Mary Islands), where he caught the tuna which took him approximately one hour and 40 minutes to bring to the boat.
The awards presentation began around six o'clock, where the team contenders, family, friends, sponsors and special guests enjoyed a thank-you cocktail in the Yacht Club of Marina Riviera Nayarit.
The IV International Marlin and Tuna Tournament Awards:
• 1st prize to Adrián García Menchaca on Tolos, winning the Toyota Corolla.
• Bronze sculpture 2nd place prize went to Mark Martin, on Shark, winning the Nissan Tiida.
• Mercury Marine presented the 3rd place award to Charles Menchaca on Milonga, a Mercury 60 HP 4-stroke engine.
• Brunswick presented the 1st prize to Gonzalo Leaño on Eight Columns, a Nissan Tsuru, round trip airline ticket and bronze sculpture with diploma.
• Zaragoza 2nd place award went to Static, winning a Mercury 60 HP 4-stroke engine.
Pez Vela (Sailfish)
Marina Riviera La Cruz 1st prize went to Luis Blanco on Snapper, winning a professional fishing tournament entry and a bronze sailfish sculpture with diploma.
Everybody agreed that the tournament was a great success and are looking forward to participating again next year.
About Riviera Nayarit: Mexico’s newest destination, Riviera Nayarit, stretches along 192 miles of pristine Pacific coast framed by the majestic Sierra Madre Mountains just ten minutes north of accessible Puerto Vallarta International Airport. The region extends along the entire coast of the Pacific state of Nayarit including the resorts of Nuevo Vallarta, the historic colonial town of San Blas, exclusive Punta Mita, picturesque fishing villages, miles of serene beaches and spectacular Banderas Bay. Riviera Nayarit offers countless activities, all pleasantly affordable, such as: PGA golf courses, luxury spas, whale watching, turtle release, zip lining, surfing, record deep sea fishing, bird watching, international cuisine, and shopping for local artwork and traditional Huichol handicrafts. The region attracts and satisfies vacationers of all tastes and budgets with its wide range of accommodations including chic luxury resorts, eco-tourism boutique hotels and quaint B&B inns. Visit the website at RivieraNayarit.com.