Puerto Vallarta, Mexico - The Oficina de Proyectos Culturales (OPC), along with the Asociación de Vecinos Colonia Centro A.C., the Comité Vecinal de la Colonia Centro Vallarta, Aseo Público and Tránsito, launched a pilot program for trash collection in the downtown area of Puerto Vallarta. The intention is to find a solution to the problem that affects us all.
The pilot program is based on the successful trash campaign implemented on the corner of Olas Altas and Pilitas. One year ago, the trash was piled up on this corner in the Zona Romantica, a popular tourist area on the city's south side. The problem was that people were putting out their trash at all hours of the day and night instead of following the schedule posted by the city.
Today, with the help of the Amapas Neighborhood Association, there is a clean and dignified trash disposal area on this corner, and the majority of the people who live and work in the neighborhood are respecting the trash hours and depositing aluminum cans in a recycling container.
Following a neighborhood meeting of Aldama residents, the following rules were proposed:
Dear neighbors of Aldama and Hidalgo:
We would like to ask for your assistance in helping to maintain the Aldama trash area as clean and orderly as possible.
We all know that Puerto Vallarta has a large problem with the collection of trash, and that it will not likely be solved in the near future, so we are asking our neighbors to do what they can to make our trash area more dignified for ourselves, and the passing tourist.
These few things will make a big difference:
1. Separate aluminum cans and deposit in the basket attached to the post. No glass or plastic will be recycled. CANS ONLY.
2. Tie bags properly and deposit in one of the blue trash containers.
3. Break down all cardboard boxes and lay them flat alongside the containers, please do not fill up one of the trash cans with a large empty cardboard box.
4. Please do not deposit construction materials or other large objects that the garbage truck will not haul away. For removal of large items or building materials, please call Aseo Publico at (322) 178-6921.
5. Please do not deposit large tree branches or other green plant material on the corner without it being properly placed inside a bag. If you need a special pick-up after trimming a tree, please call Parques y Jardines at (322) 224-0676.
6. And most importantly, please only deposit trash late in the evening or very early in the morning before the truck arrives at 7:30 am. This will minimize the amount of trash that is spilled on the street by the passing trash pickers. And PLEASE if the trash truck has already been by in the morning, do not leave your trash. The City has now instituted fines for anybody throwing trash outside of posted hours. To make a report call (322) 224-9121.
Located at Juarez #598, at the corner of Aldama in downtown Puerto Vallarta, Oficina de Proyectos Culturales (Office for Cultural Projects, or OPC) is an independent non-profit arts organization dedicated to fostering dialogue through exhibitions, round table discussions, public art and arts education programs. OPC works with artists, architects, curators, academics, and writers who explore ideas that shape our city and to develop cultural programming that is firmly rooted in Puerto Vallarta, yet international in scope.