Puerto Vallarta, Mexico - The origins of Mardi Gras can be traced to medieval Europe, passing through Rome and Venice in the 17th and 18th centuries to the French House of the Bourbons. From here the traditional revelry of "Boeuf Gras," or the fatted calf, can be followed to France.
It went through some changes over the centuries until it hit a stride in the new world. New Orleans was established in 1718 by Bienville. By the 1730s, Mardi Gras was celebrated openly in New Orleans, but not with the elaborate parades we enjoy today. In the early 1740s, Louisiana's governor, the Marquis de Vaudreuil, established elegant society balls, which became the model for the New Orleans Mardi Gras balls of today.
Puerto Vallarta has been celebrating the festive holiday since 2009 and the celebration has grown every year. There is a parade that winds through El Centro and Old Town that is attended by several thousand spectators every year.
Kaiser Maximilian Restaurant is right on the parade route and you can have a front row seat while enjoying a special three-course meal with choices for each course. Join their party on Tuesday, February 13, 2018 starting at 5 pm and running until 11 pm. The regular a la carte menu will not be available on this night.
Kaiser Maximilian's Mardi Gras Menu
• Spinach Strudel
• Caesar Salad
• Marinated Beets and Goat Cheese Salad
• Duck Confit Salad
• Tuna Carpaccio
• Crab Cake
• Roasted Quail with Risotto
• Ravioli with Tarragon Sauce
• Onion Soup
• Bread Soup
• Red Cabbage Cream Soup
• Salmon Trout with Celery Purée
• Red Snapper with Shrimp Sauce
• Combo with Shrimp, Fish and Chicken with Rice and Chipotle Sauce
• Coffee Spiced Beef Tenderloin
• Zwiebelrostbraten - Beef Loin with Onions
• Spiced Duck Breast with Farro Risotto
• Chicken Breast with Rosemary Mashed Potatoes
• Roasted Leg of Veal
• Veal Scaloppini with Twice Baked Potato & Creamed Spinach
• Pork Chop with Nut Chutney & Sautéed Endives
• Wienerschnitzel - Breaded Pork Loin & Potatoes
• Rahmschnitzel - Sautéed Pork Loin with Noodles & a Mushroom Cream Sauce
• Warm Pecan Chocolate Tart & Vanilla Ice Cream
• Chocolate Pot de Crème
• Sour Cream Cheesecake with Pineapple & Strawberries
• Austrian Apple Strudel with Vanilla Ice Cream
• Crème Brulée
• Sacher - Chocolate Cake with Mint Ice Cream
• Panna Cotta with Mixed Berries
• Linzer Tart with Frozen Yogurt
• Vanilla Ice Cream Hot Crepe with Chocolate Sauce
• Strawberry Royal Sundae
The price per person is $620 pesos, gratuity not included. If you prefer to have the rack of lamb, diver scallops or braised short ribs as a main course, the price is $720 pesos.
Don't miss out! Join the Kaiser Maximilian team for a wonderful celebration. Reservations are a must, and can be made by calling (322) 222-5058 or 223-0760.
Open Monday-Saturday from 8 am to 11 pm for breakfast, lunch and dinner, Kaiser Maximilian Restaurant & Cafe is located at Olas Altas #38B in the Zona Romántica of Puerto Vallarta. For reservations call (322) 223-0760 or visit KaiserMaximilian.com
Click HERE to read more about Kaiser Maximilian.