|SETAC Fundraiser at Trattoria Michel Features Live Music|
Josef Kandoll - PVNN
May 19, 2010
When Vallartan resident Ed Thomas was diagnosed with congestive heart failure, he might have turned in his keys and closed his post office box. Instead, he chose to realize a personal dream.
|Centro Comunitario SETAC-GLBT Puerto Vallarta|
Constitución #427 Esq. Manuel M. Diéguez
South Side, Puerto Vallarta
Tel: (322) 224-1974
In short order, he organized support and founded SETAC, the new gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender community center of Puerto Vallarta. Opening the doors in November of 2009, the center, led by Executive Director Francisco Arjona, focuses on education within the diverse Vallarta community. Regular English classes, counseling sessions, community activities, free HIV and STD testing, movie nights and street cleaning are among the gamut of activities with which they are involved. All association-sponsored activities are free while most have groups in English and Spanish.
This Saturday, May 22, a fundraiser will help support further efforts on the part of this necessary community center, the only one of its kind in the country. Tickets can be purchased at three locations (below) with an additional raffle.
Live music will be performed by local balladeer Miguel Escontria who has three CDs under his belt after years of performances in Guadalajara, Vancouver and Puerto Vallarta. The three-course dinner will begin at 7:30pm with limited seating while the after-dinner cocktail is scheduled for 9:30-11:30pm.
SETAC is registered as a non-profit association since its inception on November 11, 2009. See www.setac.com.mx for further information on programs and other events.
• WHEN: Saturday, May 22
• WHAT: Three-course dinner at 7:30-9:30 pm, cocktail party 9:30-11:30pm
• WHO: Live music by Miguel Escontria, a balladeer (called the Mexican Julio Iglesias) who sings in English and Spanish
• WHY: To help garner funds for SETAC, the recently organized non-profit GLBT association. With community activities, a primary focus is on counseling and education as well as HIV testing.
• WHERE: Trattoria Michel, Olas Altas 507 (at corner of Rodolfo Gómez in the Romantic Zone)
• HOW: Ticket sales handled by Trattoria Michel 223-2060 (Olas Altas 507); SETAC 224-1974 (Constitución 427 at the corner of Manuel M. Diéguez); Neptune Realtors 221-3484 (Lázaro Cárdenas 230), all located in Emiliano Zapata, or the Romantic Zone
• HOW MUCH: Dinner and cocktail $400 pesos, cocktail only $125 pesos. Raffle: $50 pesos per ticket or three for $100 pesos. First prize three nights (maximum six) in the penthouse of Andale on the Bay and second prize a $500 pesos gift certificate at Trattoria Michel.
The purpose of the SETAC Puerto Vallarta Gay, Lesbian Bisexual and Transgender (GLBT) Community Center, located at Constitucion #427 on the corner of Manuel Dieguez, is to provide essential services to the GLBT community, including support in recovery from alcoholism and other afflictions, physical and mental health treatment and referrals, education and recreation in an atmosphere of safety, free from discrimination. For more information, contact Paco Arjona at (322) 224-1974 or paco(at)setac.com.mx.
Click HERE to learn more about Centro Comunitario SETAC-GLBT.