Puerto Vallarta, Mexico - On February 29, 2012 from 7-11 pm you can have fun while supporting the SETAC GLBT Community Center at the 3rd Annual Duckaton on the Boana Torre Malibu's poolside terrace. You'll enjoy live music and entertainment, free food, an open bar and great prizes - all for a good cause!
The SETAC Community Center offers the GLBT community, their families and friends a variety of services meant to improve their physical, emotional and spiritual well being. Creating a network between members of the GLBT and non-GLBT community allows opportunities for members to experience, learn and participate in the mutual development of our common community.
For example, the Center holds AA meetings, English classes, HIV testing and counseling. Condoms are always available by simply asking. There is a nutritionist on site Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 10 am to 1 pm, and movies are shown every Tuesday night at 7:30 pm. ALL ARE WELCOME, and like all of SETAC'S services, this also is free.
In addition to their daily services, the following are a few of the things SETAC Center accomplished over the last year to support the local community:
• Because SETAC offers walk-in HIV & Syphilis rapid testing, they administered 435 HIV Rapid Tests, 235 Syphilis Tests, and distributed 60,000 condoms.
• SETAC participated as the only drop site south of the stadium for the Por un Mexico Sin Hambre National Food Drive on September 15, 2011.
• In collaboration with the AIDS Healthcare Foundation, COMUSIDA, SSJ and Ayuntamiento de Puerto Vallarta, SETAC provided information about HIV and distributed condoms at several of the events at the Pan Am Games in Puerto Vallarta.
• On October 24, 2011, SETAC sponsored the First Annual Breast Cancer Social Event at the Abbey Hotel, and donated all proceeds to Grupo Esperanza, an organization that supports Survivors of Breast Cancer and helps women who can't afford Mammograms get them.
• Again this year SETAC sponsored the 2011 Christmas Posada at CAPASITS Clinic (HIV clinic) for families affected by HIV that included a Toy Drive for the children. They were also a drop off center for The Children of the Dump Shoe Drive.
Come on out to Boana Torre Malibu on Wednesday, February 29th and enjoy a night of friendship, food and fun, while helping to raise funds for the SETAC Community Center.
The purpose of the SETAC Puerto Vallarta Gay, Lesbian Bisexual and Transgender (GLBT) Community Center, located at Constitucion #427 on the corner of Manuel Dieguez, is to provide essential services to the GLBT community, including support in recovery from alcoholism and other afflictions, physical and mental health treatment and referrals, education and recreation in an atmosphere of safety, free from discrimination. For more information, contact Javier Gallegos at (322) 224-1974 or javisetac(at)gmail.com.
Click HERE to learn more about Centro Comunitario SETAC-GLBT.