Puerto Vallarta, Mexico - On Tuesday, September 27th from 6-10 pm, Casa Karma Boutique Resort will kick off their Day of the Dead Calavera (Skull) decorating contest to benefit the Puerto Vallarta Public Library, Biblioteca Los Mangos, and its new Early Childhood Literacy Program.
Located on the southern shores of Puerto Vallarta, Casa Karma is quickly becoming known for their altruistic endeavors - and this time they have set their sights on keeping literacy ALIVE in Puerto Vallarta through a fun contest that runs through November 2nd, El Día de los Muertos.
1. Buy a ready to decorate Calavera at Casa Karma for $250 pesos. Proceeds from all sales go directly to Biblioteca Los Mangos.
2. Return your decorated Calavera to The Bar at Casa Karma by 10:00 pm on Tuesday, October 25th. One rule: No late entries will be accepted. Each Calavera will be assigned a number.
3. Don't want to decorate a Calavera? Then come to The Bar at Casa Karma and cast your "vote." Every peso received from voting goes directly to Los Mangos Library.
4. Following the voting, any Calavera designer who would like to donate their Calavera to a silent auction may do so. The silent auction will last 5 days in The Bar at Casa Karma.
5. For each of you who comes to The Bar at Casa Karma from Wednesday, October 26th through Wednesday, November 2nd, Casa Karma will donate $10 pesos of your tab in The Bar to the Calavera of your choice as additional "votes."
Decorating Your Calavera: You have approximately 1 month for your creativity to surface! Decorate it yourself or ask someone to do it for you. There are NO rules about how to decorate your Calavera. Political, social, religious, silly, avant-garde, traditional and just plain crazy designs are encouraged and welcome! Let your creative spirit soar.
"Vote Early, Vote Often": Encourage your friends and family to come to Casa Karma and "vote." They can "vote" as often as they like. We will tally the "votes" daily and post daily result on Facebook showing the total "votes" received to date for all Calaveras and the top 3 "votes" received to date.
Calaveras will be anonymous during the "voting," although you are welcome to tell your friends which one is yours. Tell your friends your design or your number.
Voting closes at 6:00 pm on the Day of the Dead (Día de los Muertos), Wednesday, November 2nd. The winner will be announced in The Bar at Casa Karma at 8:00 pm.
Bar Tab "Votes": Limited to 1, ten peso "vote" (equals 10 "votes" at 1 peso per "vote") per tab, per day.
Silent Auction: Participation in the Silent Auction portion is optional. No one is required to donate their decorated Calavera to the Silent Auction.For more information, visit the Facebook event page.