Puerto Vallarta, Mexico - For most that own a home in Puerto Vallarta, a tourist visa or permanent residency suits all their needs, but for some who have made moving to Mexico a permanent life change, applying to become a Mexican citizen may be a consideration.
Here are some of the reasons why you might want to apply for Mexican citizenship:
• Ability to vote in Mexican elections
• Ability to change your place of work or address without the requirement to inform the immigration office (INM)
• Avoid fees to renew your immigration status (if not a permanent resident) or the ability to extend your time in Mexico beyond the 180-day limit of a tourist visa
• Ability to own land or property close to Mexico's borders and coastline without the need for a bank trust, known as a Fideicomiso
However, most of the paperwork required to secure and maintain visas in Mexico is quite simple and your Tropicasa real estate agent can discuss with you reasons why a bank trust is the fastest and easiest way to purchase property in Puerto Vallarta and the greater Banderas Bay region, so citizenship is not always the right path to choose for your new life in Mexico.
Some drawbacks of applying for Mexican citizenship may include:
• A newly revised citizenship exam which focuses on knowledge of Mexico's history and culture and a Spanish reading comprehension test. However, minors and people over the age of 60 are exempt from taking the exam.
• Once you become a Mexican citizen, you lose your right to access consular protection from your country of origin while in Mexico.
• In some rare instances, depending on your country of origin, you may be required to relinquish your home country passport and citizenship, although nowadays most nations allow for dual citizenship.
So, is becoming a Mexican citizen the right choice for you? Most foreigners living in Puerto Vallarta do not apply to become a citizen, so the answer is to do your research, consider your lifestyle needs and make the choice that is best for you.
Click HERE for more Puerto Vallarta real estate and lifestyle tips from Tropicasa Realty.
Since 1997, Wayne Franklin and his team at Tropicasa Realty have been a trusted name in Puerto Vallarta real estate. Tropicasa Realty is a regional representative of Who's Who in Luxury Real Estate and, with over 100 years of combined experience in real estate, all agents of the company are affiliated with AMPI as well as being International members of the U.S. National Association of Realtors. Wayne Franklin or any member of his knowledgeable team can be contacted in-person at their Romantic Zone Office - Pulpito 145-A at Olas Altas. While in PV they can be reached at (322) 222-6505 or by calling 866-978-5539 (Toll-Free) from the U.S.
Click HERE to learn more about Tropicasa Realty, or visit tropicasa.com.